1. We finished writing #RedK. It clocked in at 85,500 and made us *facepalm* at ourselves. It was still interesting, though. That's the first time that we've written something that's real novel-length. At the start, it seemed to go really
fast, and after the first six chapters I thought, wow, we'll finish a 60k story in three or four months. But then August was a loss because of holiday, September was almost a loss because of work, and October was half a loss because of Chibicon, and
this baby turned out heavy in the butt, and here we are and we spent most of a year writing the same story again
. I was quite shocked when I went to haikusociety
to post Solo's unicorn and realised how long it's been that we posted a full-size story.
It was also the first time we edited such a long story in one go, and let me tell you, OOF. Solo is a bit more resilient than I am in this regard and she did the heavy lifting in a lot of places, but there comes a time when you dream about tracked changes.
I'm looking forward to posting it now, and I'm also looking forward to getting back to other business
, which is, in that order, charity fic we owe naricina
, the Deep Water ficlets we promised, and then a bunch of other stuff
, like maybe getting that Akamepi finished where poor Kame has had a boner now for well over a year.
2. Speaking of which, if you were curious why I kept calling that story the unicorn, which also was the prompt for how 1002unicorns
was called, it comes from a dark, sad time in my past when I did not appreciate the beauty and sparkledom of unicorns. I actually made fun of them. (I was young, Peri! I didn't know any better! *cries*) So when I had started to write that story for Solo's 2010 birthday, and then it stalled, and I admitted to Solo some time after her 2010 birthday that there was an unfinished 500 words for her somewhere on my hard disc, I explained it like, 'You... may be offended that I thought this is what you'd like. It's a bit like showing up with a fugly music box with a unicorn on top and going I saw this and I thought of you
. Here, this is your unicorn.'
3. I watched the Chain DVD... a while ago, with Jolli and Heli and Solo and Nari, and it was really interesting to watch it back after I've been there and saw the same show live. The main thing I realised was that I'm really weird
about the Jin thing and the 6nin-sung-with-5nin songs. They work really well for me by now, but I think that's only because there is a sort of... dual thing going on. It works really well for me the way the rest of the band stepped up and didn't leave Kame hanging
all the time, the way is obvious in some of the more painful performances from Jin's 2006 hiatus. Two of the guys working together to bring Jin's parts really gives me happy band feelings, and I'm just happy that they worked so hard and rallied. BUT. I think this only works for me against the backdrop of also having seen the two non-filmed shows in Tokyo Dome where they fucked up the Jin parts pretty much ALL THE TIME. Somehow, those two things together make it work for me. I wouldn't like it if Jin was perfectly replaceable; I wouldn't like it if the 6nin songs all sucked now, mostly because I would hurt for Kame. This mix really makes it easier, weirdly enough.
4. I'm going to be in London from 16-18 December and I get to meet Mec! That was the latest development in my work travelling; I guess I should make a where-I'll-be-when post after all, when I thought I didn't need it anymore!
5. My haircut is two weeks old and already getting too long. ;__________;
6. I'm watching MONSTERS. It is not a good show, but Shingo is growing on me.
7. My Primark shoes died and today I bought a far more expensive Rieker replacement that I hope will see me through the winter and keep my feet dry
, thank you.( Oh, whatevs, have a pic of the shoes! )
0. I'm pretty sure when I started out writing this post, I had some other stuff I wanted to mention, and now it's gone. Oh well!